Day 43: A busy final day in Peoria
Updated: 11 a.m.
PEORIA, Ariz. — Happy Sunday from Peoria and the ultimate getaway day here as players, coaches, staff and, of course, yours truly, pack up and head back to San Diego after spending six weeks in Arizona.
I’ll never be so happy to pass through Gila Bend. But careful, that place is a speed trap!
Anyway, a few interesting items on the final day in camp. All of these will be detailed later at Padres.com. But here’s a sample:
– Edinson Volquez will start Opening Day on Thursday. You can read about him here.
– Tim Stauffer has a strained right triceps. A little dead-arm late in camp. More on it in notes later on Padres.com
– The rotation for the first series is: Volquez, Luebke, Moseley and Richard.
– Mark Kotsay has a strained right calf. He’ll have a few days of treatment to see how it sets up. The DL could be a consideration.
– James Darnell was optioned to Triple-A Tucson.
– Since Stauffer is down for a while, I wouldn’t be surprised if Owings and Bass made the Opening Day roster.
– Joe Wieland, Casey Kelly and Jeff Suppan will open season with Triple-A Tucson. Suppan (right triceps) is a ways away, though.
– The Padres could go right up until the deadline (Wednesday, 2 p.m. PT) to finalize the roster.
Much more later at Padres.com.
That’s it for me. Hitting the road for San Diego. I hope you’ve found this blog interesting and worth visiting daily. The number of hits I’ve been able to track are amazing, so unless my mother is hitting refresh every three minutes, someone is reading this.
Here’s the information on today’s game. Starting position players will get two or so at-bats before making a beeline toward San Diego.
* Padres (19-14) at Rangers (11-17), 1:05 p.m. Surprise Recreation Campus
Radio/TV: XX 1090 (Andy Masur, Bob Scanlan).
Lineup: Maybin CF, Venable RF, Headley 3B, Guzman LF, Alonso 1B, Blanks DH, Hudson 2B, Bartlett SS, Baker C.
Pitchers: Luebke 4 innings, Kelly 4, Frieri 1.
Corey Brock, MLB.com